Monday, February 22, 2010

The Beads of Mardi Gras

As this is my last known semester to be in New Orleans before I graduate and pursue another goal elsewhere, I have been trying to engage myself more fully into the culture of this city.


With that being said, the Lenten season has just begun in wake of Carnival. I have never quite understood the fascination of slowing one's reaction time by drinking heavily, only to stand in a large crowd of people and have things that I don't even want fly at my face. I also was unsure of the implications Mardi Gras has from its history in which the white, priveldged class would throw free things to the peasants. I did not understand the reason why the entire city shut down just to fill the streets with beads made in unfavorable factory conditions in China.


But this season, I decided I would go out into Mardi Gras and experience this aspect of New Orleans culture. So, I bundled up for the chilly February winds and found myself at Lee Circle. Eventhough I'm a quiet, reserved person, I suddenly found myself yelling and begging strangers to throw me cheap plastic. And eventhough the excessive beads began to weigh me down and tighten around my neck, I kept asking for more.


I believe it was after the long Friday night line of parades in which Hermes, D'etat, Morpheus and Muses rolled that I noticed how much trash was everywhere. Derby girls rolled by on the streets, barely avoiding the massive amount of beads littering the concrete. The neutral ground was unrecognizable and layered with colors, bags, broken cups, beer cans, and empty food containers. People around me dropped their finished beverages onto the ground as if it were second nature, and suddenly I slipped out of the cultural hysteria. I can't even imagine how much trash is accumulated in one single parade across the route, much less for the entire Mardi Gras season. All of this trash is simply going to a landfill somewhere, and then I began worrying about the things people put in trash cans on a normal basis. Where does it all go?

Mardi Gras is beautiful in the sense that it unites a city of people, allows strangers to stand beside one another and enjoy an evening of music, art and conversation. Yet, there is also a disturbing suggestion about its ecological impact, as evident by the great amount of trash. Perhaps there is a way to compromise culture with the environmental impact. Now that it's Lent, the city has become to be aware of their own mortality and affect on others. We give something up and chose something to do more of and give. We reflect and pray on understanding our place with God. Maybe there is room to adapt our lack of ecological consciousness during Carnival season. Or, maybe the sheer purpose of Carnival is to be excessive and gluttonous and there is no need to reevaluate the amount of consumption and trash.

No comments:

Post a Comment